This 2kW 48V wind and solar charge controller is designed to charge a 48V battery bank using energy generated from wind turbines and solar panels. This controller is ideal for hybrid power systems comprising of a solar array and wind turbines, as it can accept simultaneous input from solar and wind power. Alternatively, the controller can be used with solar panels only, or with wind turbines only.
This hybrid charge controller uses PWM technology to optimise charge acceptance from the battery bank and comes with a separate dump load unit to protect the battery and wind turbine.
- Hybrid capability: This charge controller can handle input from both solar panels and wind turbines, eliminating the need for two separate controllers. The controller can also be used as a wind controller or solar controller alone, offering the flexibility to upgrade to a hybrid system at any time. The high input power acceptance of up to 2000W / 65V for wind power and up to 1000W / 100V for solar power makes this controller ideal for systems of all sizes.
- Full safety protection: This controller features a range of protection functions, including protection against overcharging, overvoltage, reverse polarity, load short circuit and lightning. This controller is also equipped with an intelligent automatic braking function - applied to the wind turbine when the battery is full, to protect the battery from overcharging. Automatic braking also helps to prevent damage to the wind turbine when high wind speeds are detected.
- External dump load: As an additional safety precaution, this hybrid controller also comes with an external dump load for further system protection. The controller will automatically detect when the battery bank is full and divert any excess energy directly to the dump load unit, connected to the dump load terminals of the controller. This prevents damage to system components including the batteries and wind turbine, which is particularly useful for applications with strong wind speeds where the battery is often rapidly charged.
- User-friendly interface: This controller is equipped with a high quality digital display, a multifunction selector button and bright LED indicators. The display shows important information such as battery voltage, charging current (for the solar array and wind turbine separately), RPM (wind turbine revolutions) per minute, and any system faults. The LEDs also indicate the charging / dump load status of the controller.
- Low-current charging mode: When the battery is low, the controller will enter a gentle preliminary charging stage using a low charging current to optimise battery performance and health.
This controller also features an On/ Off switch for the dump load, which allows the user to disable battery charging in favour of full power diversion to the dump load (e.g. if the user is away from the system for a long period of time). The controller also features an inbuilt temperature sensor for automatic temperature compensation, as well as an RS485 communication port for connection to optional devices, such as a remote display, control panel or GPRS remote monitoring kit (sold separately).
This hybrid charge controller is compatible with 48V wind turbines with 3-phase AC 50-65V output, and 48V solar panel arrays with a voltage at maximum power of up to 80V and maximum open circuit voltage of 100V.
For optimum performance and highest efficiency of charging, we recommend choosing a wind turbine with 48-50V nominal output and configuring the solar array so that the voltage at maximum power is within 64-72V.
- Battery voltage: 48V
- Maximum combined charging current: 54A
- Wind turbine rated power: 2000W
- Wind turbine maximum power: 2700W
- Wind turbine rated voltage: 50V
- Wind turbine maximum input voltage: 65V
- Solar rated power: 1000W
- Maximum solar input voltage: 100V
- Maximum solar input current: 20A
- Over voltage: 64.8V DC
- Over voltage recovery: 62.4V DC
- Low-current charging voltage range: <43.2V DC
- Direct charging voltage range: 43.2V DC < battery voltage < 55.2V DC
- PWM charging voltage range: 55.2V DC < battery voltage < 58.0V DC
- Dump load voltage range:
- PWM unloading: 55.2V DC < battery voltage < 58.0V DC
- Full unloading: battery voltage > 58.0V
- Cut-off charging voltage: 58V
- Temperature compensation: -3mV / °C / 2V
- Operating temperature range: -10°C to +40°C. Humidity: <95% (no condensation)
- Quiescent current: ≤20mA
- Controller dimensions: 258 x 136 x 149 mm
- Controller weight: 2.44kg
- Dump load unit dimensions: 503 x 361 x 170 mm
- Dump load unit weight: 12.3kg
This product is covered by a 1 year warranty.